GORHAM, Maine – Kara Finnerty netted a hat-trick for the Bowdoin field hockey team in a 3-0 win at the University of Southern Maine on Monday afternoon.
The Polar Bears jump to 5-2 on the season and drop the Huskies to 4-7. Monday's game was only the second out of conference matchup for Bowdoin this year.
- Bowdoin jumped out to an early lead just 2:13 into action. Elizabeth Bennewitz received the ball on a corner and fired off a shot. Finnerty caught a piece of the ball and deflected it into the net.
- Finnerty combined with Tala Glass for a similar goal in the 19th minute. Glass received the corner insert midway up the circle and directed a shot towards the far right post. Again, Finnerty deflected the ball to go ahead 2-0.
- The game's final goal came midway through the second half as Finnerty lifted a shot over the goalie.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin outshot the hosts by a 12-4 margin and held an 11-3 edge in penalty corners.
- Maddie Ferrucci played 52 minutes in her start for the Polar Bears and Eva Verzani came in to make one save to preserve the clean slate.
- Anna Huff stopped seven shots for the Huskies.
- Bowdoin returns to Ryan Field for another in-state matchup on Wednesday evening. The Polar Bears host the University of Maine-Farmington at 6:00 p.m.