BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin field hockey team remained unbeaten with a 4-2 midweek NESCAC win over Bates on Wednesday evening.
The Polar Bears (3-0, 2-0 NESCAC) put up three first half goals against the Bobcats (0-2, 0-2 NESCAC).
- Elle Brine sent a corner insert up to Elizabeth Bennewitz, who swept the ball back to the post. Brine tipped in her first goal of the season 10:52 into the game.
- Bates tied the game at 1-1 ten minutes later. Emma Patterson pushed the ball into play and later swept the ball from the near post.
- Bowdoin regained the lead in just two minutes after Emma Stevens tipped in a deflected ball from Kara Finnerty.
- Finnerty added a solo effort with ten minutes remaining in the half, collecting her own rebound and putting the ball in net.
- The Bobcats came out charging in the second half and cut Bowdoin's lead to 3-2, two minutes in. Again, on a corner, Bates converted as Riley Burns slid a pass to Grace Fitzgerald who blasted the ball into the cage.
- Ten minutes into the half Bennewitz lined up a shot from the top, off a feed from Brine.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin held an 18-8 edge in shots, but both teams earned seven corners.
- Adelae Durand made four saves in her start before giving way to Ellie Bauer who made three stops.
- Maddie Ferrucci made a pair of saves.
- Bowdoin heads to Wesleyan on Saturday with a 12:00 p.m. start.
- The Bobcats play at Tufts on Saturday with a noon start.