BRUNSWICK, Maine - David Reynolds netted a career-high 29 points to lead the Bowdoin College men's basketball team to an 83-77 victory over Colby on Saturday afternoon in Morrell Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears earn a measure of revenge in the conference match-up between the schools after falling to the Mules in the non-conference game in Waterville a month ago. Bowdoin moves to 12-4 (2-2 NESCAC) with the win while Colby falls to 10-6 (1-3 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin came out firing, connecting on a trio of early three-pointers, two from Reynolds and another from Liam Farley to take an early 13-6 edge.
- Colby fought back, going on a 13-6 run of their own, capping the surge with consecutive layups from Pat Dickert to tie the game at 19-19 midway through the opening half.
- The Polar Bears used a quick 5-0 surge out of a timeout and would never relinquish the lead again, extending their advantage to 13 points at halftime, 46-33, thanks to 51% shooting from the field in the first half.
- Back-to-back layups from Zavier Rucker helped push Bowdoin to their largest lead of the game, 19 points, 64-45, with 11:21 remaining in the game.
- Colby mounted a late comeback and cut the lead to single digits, 68-59, when Alex Dorion connected from long-distance to end a 15-4 run for the Mules with 6:53 to go.
- Reynolds answered with a three-pointer for Bowdoin and Colby could get no closer than six points until the closing moments as the Polar Bears wrapped the win.
By The Numbers
- Bowdoin ended at 50.8% shooting from the field while Colby connected on just 38.8% of their attempts for the day. The Mules were able to stay within striking distance thanks to 13 three-pointers and 29 points off 20 Polar Bear turnovers.
- Bowdoin owned a 45-36 edge in rebounding for the game.
- David Reynolds' career and game-high 29 points eclipsed his previous mark of 26 set earlier this year against Maine-Farmington. He hit six three-pointers and also had eight rebounds.
- Zavier Rucker totaled 13 points with five assists while Jack SImonds (11 points, five rebounds, four assists) and Hugh O'Neil (11 points, 11 rebounds) also saw double figures.
- Colby got 31 points from its bench, including a team-best 18 from Alex Dorion, who netted six three-pointers. Pat Dickert also added ten off the bench for the Mules.
- Sam Jefferson (16 points), Matt Hanna (10) and Wallace Tucker (10) also reached double digits.
- Bowdoin returns to action on Tuesday evening at Pine Manor (7:00 p.m.).
- Colby heads to Husson for a Tuesday night game (7:00 p.m.)