BRUNSWICK, Maine – Sam Grad hit a game-winning three-pointer with 1.4 seconds remaining in overtime to lift the Bowdoin College men's basketball team to a 78-77 win over sixth-ranked Williams on Saturday afternoon at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears celebrated Senior Day with a huge NESCAC win that improves them to 13-8 (3-5 NESCAC) while the Ephs fall to 19-3 (6-2 NESCAC).
- In a game that featured 12 tie scores and 20 lead changes, neither team took more than a five point lead throughout the second half.
- Bowdoin had the better of the Ephs in the opening period, taking as much as a 12-point lead, 40-28, late in the first half.
- Williams closed the gap to seven points with a late 5-0 surge, capped by a James Heskett three-pointer that trimmed the lead to 40-33 at the break.
- The Ephs rolled off a 7-0 run out of the break to quickly knot the score at 40 apiece and the teams traded blows for the next 16 minutes of game time.
- Bowdoin took the lead 70-67 on a Jack Simonds three-pointer with 2:43 remaining, but Williams' Bobby Casey answered with a trifecta to tie the game again with 2:27 left.
- A pair of Williams free throws gave the visitors at 72-70 edge with 57 seconds left, but Zavier Rucker hit a pull-up jumper with 32 seconds on the clock to tie the contest for Bowdoin.
- Williams came up empty on a pair of late chances to take the lead as the game headed into overtime.
- Overtime was more of the same as the teams traded points until the final minute. James Heskett made a tough running lay-in with 37 seconds left to give the Ephs their final lead, 77-75.
- Williams got a Bowdoin turnover but Matt Karpowicz missed the front end of a one-and-one at the free throw line to give the Polar Bears a final chance with eight seconds left.
- After timeout at midcourt, Bowdoin imbounded the ball to Jack Simonds, who drew three Williams defenders and skipped a pass to the far corner to Sam Grad, who launched a rainbow three-pointer that nestled into the net with 1.4 seconds remaining.
- A desperation heave by Williams was off-line as the Polar Bears came away with the win.
By The Numbers
- Both teams shot very well as Williams connected on 56% from the field and Bowdoin hit on 52%.
- The Ephs took advantage inside, connecting on 36 points in the paint while Bowdoin dominated from long-distance with a season-high 15 three-pointers.
- Jack Simonds was outstanding for Bowdoin, scoring 32 points, including 6-10 from three-point range. David Reynolds pitched in 16 points and eight rebounds.
- Zavier Rucker had 12 points, five assists and a steal for the Polar Bears.
- Williams was led by 21 points from James Heskett. Bobby Casey and Kyle Scadlock had 14 points each while Matt Karpowicz added 13.
- Bowdoin returns to action on Tuesday evening when they host Husson at 7:00 p.m.
- Williams will host Amherst next Friday at 7:00 p.m.