BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Amherst men's ice hockey team jumped out to an early lead and never trailed en route to a 4-2 victory at Bowdoin on Friday night.
The Polar Bears returned to the ice for the second half of their season and fall to 4-7-0 (2-5-0 NESCAC). The Mammoths remain unbeaten in conference play at 5-3-3 (3-0-3 NESCAC).
- Patrick Daly dug the puck off the left boards and centered a pass to Thomas Lindstrom for the game's first goal 3:55 into the game.
- The Mammoths doubled their lead with another tally three minutes later. P.J. Conlon put a shot on net that Alex Zafonte denied, but Nick Bondra cleaned up outside the crease and put the puck into the net.
- Connor Girard turned away a promising bid by Matthew Lison with eight minutes to play in the period, keeping Bowdoin off the board. Lison broke away from the pack along the left boards and handled across the goal face eventually being stopped by Girard at the far pipe.
- Amherst went up 3-0 a minute later as Bondra buried a low angle shot from the left dot off the far post.
- Bowdoin broke through with 3:08 remaining. Bradley Ingersoll controlled the puck on the right point and directed a quick pass to Lison in the left circle. The senior one-timed a rocket past Girard to send the teams into the first intermission at 3-1.
- Pieter von Steinbergs scored the only goal of the second period on a power play at the midway point. Joey Lupo fed von Steinbergs from the right circle to the top of the slot. The blueliner buried a shot inside the left post.
- Michael Brown cut the Mammoth's lead in half with a goal 7:40 into the final frame. Pat Geary swung the puck around the back of the net to Austin Ricci who found Brown on the goal line to put it away.
By the Numbers
- Girard made 32 stops in net for Amherst.
- Zafonte stopped 19 shots for Bowdoin.
- Amherst went 1-for-3 on the power play.
- Bowdoin was 0-for-3 on the power play.
- The Polar Bears host Hamilton tomorrow at 3:00 p.m.
- Amherst heads to Colby for a 3:00 p.m. matchup tomorrow as well.