MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The Bowdoin College men's squash team was eliminated from the main bracket and finished sixth overall at the New England Small College Athletic Conference Championship this weekend at Middlebury College.
The Polar Bears (6-8) advanced to the quarterfinals, where they were defeated by Williams 8-1. Bowdoin rebounded to beat Tufts 8-1 in the consolation bracket but dropped the fifth-place match to Amherst 6-3.
- Ishaan George accounted for Bowdoin's win against Williams, earning a 3-1 (11-8,11-9,7-11,13-11) decision. Tyler Shonrock (No. 6) and John Milligan (No. 7) also played well for the Polar Bears, but each lost 3-1.
- Bowdoin won at the top eight positions against Tufts, including a trio of 3-0 sweeps. Ian Squiers (No. 1), Gannon Leech (No. 3) and Drew Clark (No. 8) all blanked their opponents while Milligan and Shonrock both won 3-1.
- The Polar Bears picked up three wins that went the distance, earning 3-2 victories from Satya Butler, Carson Claar and Adham Sobhy.
- Bowdoin came up just short against Amherst in the hotly-contested fifth-place match. Bowdoin got wins from Adham Sobhy (3-0), John Milligan (3-1) and Drew Clark (3-1) against the Mammoths.
- The difference was a trio of close matches that didn't go Bowdoin's way as Butler (2-3), Leech (1-3), Shonrock (1-3) each fell in tightly-played contests.
- The Bowdoin men will return to action on February 15-17 at the CSA National Championships in New Haven, Conn.