BRUNSWICK, Maine – Elena Gualtieri scored an early overtime goal to lift the Connecticut College women's hockey team to a 1-0 victory over host Bowdoin on Friday evening.
The Polar Bears enter their final home game of the season at 3-17-1 (2-10-0 NESCAC). The Camels are 10-8-2 (6-5-2 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin controlled the first period, outshooting the visiting Camels 12-3. Izzi Stoddard earned the Polar Bears best look as she weaved through three defenders and wristed an uncontested shot from between the dots. Stoddard's shot missed wide.
- Sammi Estes intercepted a pass at the Bowdoin blue line midway through the period and skated towards Kerri St. Denis. Estes came down the slot and wristed a shot which St. Denis blockered away.
- After peppering the Polar Bears in the first five minutes of the second, Elena Gualtieri nearly bested St. Denis as she pulled to the right post. Instead of finding open net, Gualtieri found the left skate of St. Denis.
- With just over a minute to play, Stoddard picked up a rebound and handled across the crease to an open left side look. The sophomore hooked the shot and sent the puck wide right.
- Midway through the third, Estes rang a shot off the right post on a quick redirect skating down the slot.
- On the power play with five minutes to play, Gualtieri had an open look at the right side of the net after several rapid shots on St. Denis left her sprawled at the opposite post. Gualtieri put her shot towards the near post, but St. Denis dove across the crease to make a midair stop.
- The Camels scored the game's lone goal in overtime at 1:31. Kylie Wilkes won the faceoff in the right circle and kicked the puck center. Gualtieri took a diving one-timer and put her 11th shot of the game past St. Denis.
By the Numbers
- St. Denis ended the day with 30 saves.
- Bailey Mertz made 28 stops for the shutout.
- The Camels went 0-for-4 on the power play.
- Bowdoin went 0-for-1 on the power play.
- The Polar Bears and Camels complete the series on Saturday at 3:00 p.m.