BIDDEFORD, Maine - The University of New England women's rugby team built a large first-half lead en route to a 61-15 win over Bowdoin on Saturday afternoon.
In a match between Maine's two varsity programs, the Nor'easters avenge a season-ending loss to the Polar Bears from last season, dropping Bowdoin to 2-1 on the season.
- UNE outscored Bowdoin 36-0 in the first half, coming strong out of the gate despite multiple tackles by Polar Bears Satya Kent, Kendall Schutzer, Jackie Jaques, and Mackenzie Philbrick.
- Bowdoin's first try came on a #8 pick-up by Satya Kent from five meters out.
- Midway through the 2nd half, Schutzer caught a midfield kick from UNE, countered with a kick over the UNE team and chased it down to recover it; immediately tackled by UNE defense, Allegra Bersani grabbed the ball and dove over the line for Bowdoin's second score.
- Just inside the 22 meter line, Bowdoin's forwards won a clean lineout, drove it up-field. Schutzer took the ball from the back of the driving maul, stepped past two defenders and found daylight to sprint into the try zone, cutting the final margin to 61-15.
- Bowdoin will look to return to the win column next Saturday with a homecoming weekend match against Colby scheduled for 11:00 a.m. The contest will be carried live on the Northeast Sports Network.