Apr 29, 2017
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin women's tennis team swept visiting MIT 9-0 on Saturday morning.
The Polar Bears climb to 13-4 while dropping the Engineers to 12-8.
- Bowdoin jumped out to a 3-0 lead following doubles. Pilar Giffenig and Sasa Jovanovic put together a commanding 8-1 finish at #3. Joulia Likhanskaia and Samantha Stalder combined for an 8-5 win at #1. Tess Trinka and Tasha Christ earned a point at #2 with an 8-6 final.
- Every singles match was won in straight sets. Likhanskaia went 6-1, 6-4 in the top spot and Trinka finished off her opponent 6-4, 6-0 at #2.
- Stalder earned a point at #3 (6-4, 6-3) and Christ went 6-0, 6-4 at #4.
- Giffenig (6-1, 6-2) and Jovanovic (6-0, 6-2) rounded out the match at fifth and sixth singles respectively.
- The Polar Bears finish the regular season 13-4 (5-3 vs. NESCAC opponents). Bowdoin will compete at the NESCAC Championship next weekend hosted by Williams College. Pairings for the championship will be released on Monday.