BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's volleyball fended off Maine Maritime in its home opener on Wednesday evening in Morrell Gymnasium, 3-0.
The Polar Bears (6-0) remain unbeaten with the 26-24, 25-12, 25-23 win and have won 18 of their first 19 sets to open the season. Maine Maritime falls to 5-4 with the loss.
- The first set was the most competitive of the evening, with Maine Maritime holding the lead throughout most of the opening stanza. With the teams tied at 24-24, Bowdoin closed out the set with kills from Sydney Salle and Sophia Pahl to take a 1-0 lead with the 26-24 win.
- Bowdoin cruised in the second set, opening up an early 7-2 lead. After the Mariners closed the gap to 7-5, the Polar Bears used a 7-1 run to pull away en route to the 25-12 victory.
- The Polar Bears appeared to have put the match away in the third set, leading 18-12. But Maine Maritime rebounded with a 7-0 run to take a 19-18 lead. The teams traded points until 23-all. An attack error by the Mariners, followed by a kill from Adrienne Miller, gave Bowdoin the 25-23 triumph.
By The Numbers
- Sophia Pahl ended with a team-high eight kills for Bowdoin while Allyson Hawkins finished with seven.
- Kate Kiser had 25 assists and six digs while Lisa Sheldon ended with 17 digs and two aces.
- Avery O'Neil had eight kills while Alexa Cacacie had seven for MMA. Sydney Adams had 16 assists and ten digs for the Mariners.
- Bowdoin had ten total blocks and Maine Maritime finished with 19 attack errors in the match.
- Bowdoin heads to Colby for a 7:00 p.m. match on Friday evening.
- Maine Maritime will play a pair of matches at USM on Saturday, beginning with UMass Dartmouth at 2:00 p.m.