BRUNSWICK, Maine – Bowdoin's Nick Merrill laced an RBI single through the left side, giving the Polar Bear baseball team a dramatic come-from-behind victory, 10-9, in ten innings over Plymouth State on Sunday.
With a three-run bottom of the tenth, the Polar Bears finish their year with a record of 7-23-2. The Panthers, who were down to their final strike in the ninth before tying the game, end their year with a mark of 14-23
- Plymouth State built an early lead on the strength of a five-run second inning, with the big blow coming on a two-run double by Ryan Richard that gave the visitors a 5-1 lead.
- Bowdoin trimmed the lead to 5-3 in the fifth on a two-run single by Chris Attisani, scoring Eric Mah and Ben Suski.
- Chris Mansour gave Plymouth an insurance run in the eighth, doubling home Richard to make it 6-3 Panthers heading into the bottom of the frame.
- Bowdoin pieced together a four-run rally to take the lead, taking advantage of two Plymouth errors and two bases loaded walks to tie the game.
- Attisani lofted a sacrifice fly to right field, scoring Eric Mah to give the Polar Bears a 7-6 lead heading into the ninth.
- The Panthers put runners on first and second with two outs in the ninth for James Salta, who ripped a two-strike single to center to bring home Jimmy Zimolka and tie the game, forcing extra innings at 7-7.
- Plymouth appeared to put the game on ice in the top of the tenth as Joe Routhier hammered a two-run double, scoring Geoff Kayo and Gavin Cook to give the Panthers a 9-7 lead.
- Bowdoin rallied in the bottom of the frame, putting the first two runners on base with walks. Jack Wilhoite crushed a double to center field, scoring Josh Haensley, but Eric Mah was called out at the plate, preserving the one-run lead for Plymouth.
- After Brandon Lopez walked and Attisani reached on an error, Merrill laced the game-winning hit through the left side of the infield, bringing home Wilhoite and Lopez to give Bowdoin the victory.
By The Numbers
- In his final game, Jack Wilhoite got the pitching win in relief for Bowdoin and went 3-5 with two doubles, two runs and two RBI.
- Chris Attisani went 2-5 with four RBI for the Polar Bears.
- Jimmy Zimolka had three hits for Plymouth State and Josh Goulet kept his on-base streak alive at 37 games with a walk and a hit for the Panthers.
- Trevor Delesdernier was credited with the loss for Plymouth State despite not allowing an earned run in the tenth.