WATERVILLE, Maine – The Colby baseball team mounted a ninth inning rally to defeat Bowdoin on Thursday night.
The Polar Bears and Mules were both playing in their final game of the abbreviated season. Bowdoin ends the year at 4-2, while it was Colby's only game of 2020.
- Brendan O'Neil got the scoring started for Bowdoin in the top of the first, putting the ball in play and plating Eric Mah.
- The Mules took the lead in the bottom of the third, 2-1.
- An eighth inning rally began as James McCarthy scored on a wild pitch. A bases loaded walk to Ben McKenzie gave Bowdoin the lead and Stephen Simoes did the same.
- An error in the eighth pulled Colby within one.
- George Schmidt hit a two-run single in the bottom of the ninth for a walkoff victory.
By the Numbers
- Colby Lewis had the start on the mound, pitching 6.2 innings and allowing four hits with two strikeouts. Peter Mansfield recorded one out for Bowdoin. Ryan Winn suffered the loss with 1.1 innings of work, one hit allowed and four strikeouts.
- Simoes and McCarthy both had a stolen base. CJ Brito-Trinidad had a pair of stolen bases.
- Simoes went 2-for3 and McCarthy was 2-for-5.