Posted: Nov 26, 2019
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's hockey team dropped its home opener 5-2 to visiting UNE on Tuesday evening.
The Polar Bears drop to 1-3-0. The nationally ranked Nor'Easters climb to 6-2-0.
- UNE raced to a 1-0 lead just 13 seconds into the game. Tyler Seltenreich and Brett Mecrones traded the puck back and forth in a two-on-one towards net. Seltenreich patiently controlled the puck to draw Alex Zafonte and dished to Mecrones on the left post for an open goal.
- On the power play, with 4:20 remaining in the first, Brent Hill scored to make it 2-0. Mecrones received the puck from Liam Darcy on the right side of the net and passed back up to Hill. Standing at the top of the circle, Hill fired a on Zafonte and the puck trickled through.
- UNE scored two more goals in the second. Justin Dixson took a shot on net and Jeff Eppright poked the rebound out to Chris Jones. Jones flipped the puck past Zafonte.
- Eppright had a goal of his own on a power play with four minutes remaining in the frame. Ryan Burr possessed the puck on the left and found Ryan Bloom in stride on the far side. Bloom kicked the puck back to Eppright on the doorstep for quick deflection.
- Bowdoin got on the board in the third. Graham Rutledge and Joe Alexander traded the puck at the top of UNE's zone before finding Ethan Kimball low on the right for a one-timer. The power play goal came at 9:25.
- The Polar Bears added another man-up goal 30 seconds later. Bradley Ingersoll sent a puck from the right point to Albert Washco on the far dot. Washco connected a tic-tac-toe pass to Max Ginsberg on the far side for a one-timer.
- The Nor'Easters capped the game with a power play goal in the final minute. Ryan Bloom sent a cross ice pass to Seltenreich on the right post who wristed it top shelf.
By the Numbers
- Zafonte made 23 stops for the Polar Bears.
- Ben Churchfield made 18 saves for UNE.
- Bowdoin went 2-for-6 on the power play.
- UNE went 3-for-7 on the power play.
- The Nor'Easters host USM on Saturday at 4:00 p.m.
- The Polar Bears play Albertus Magnus on Saturday in Waterville at 1:00 p.m.