BRUNSWICK, Maine – Alex Zafonte posted a 36 save shutout and the Bowdoin offense exploded for four goals in the first period to cruise to a 5-0 win over Amherst on Saturday evening.
The Polar Bears pick up a pair of NESCAC wins on the weekend to climb to 7-5-0 (4-3-0 NESCAC). The Mammoths leave Maine with a 2-9-1 (1-6-0 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin exploded for four goals in the first eight minutes of the opening period, beginning with a Thomas Dunleavy goal 1:07 into action. Patrick Ault fed the puck to Bradley Ingersoll along the right boards and Ingersoll set up Dunleavy for a quick snap shot from the right circle.
- Albert Washco scored two minutes later. The sophomore carried the puck from the outside edge of the left faceoff circle, around the perimeter, and skated center for a wrister that ricocheted off the left post.
- Just before the six minute mark, Bobby Pearl fired a shot from high slot. Chris Brown deflected the shot as it came towards net, besting Dan Dachille for Bowdoin's third.
- Jimmy Duffy wrapped the first period scoring at 8:38. Michael Brown set up the play with a wraparound and pass to Duffy. Duffy lined up a one-timer from close range.
- Andy Stoneman had the lone goal of the second frame. Stoneman carried down the right side and looked to make a centering pass to Pat Geary. The pass deflected off an Amherst defender before reaching Geary and found the back of the net at 12:09.
By the Numbers
- Zafonte's shutout was his second the season, stopping all 36 shots he faced.
- Dachille made 18 saves for Amherst.
- Bowdoin went 0-for-2 on the power play.
- Amherst was 0-for-3 on the power play.
- Cam Berube had a pair of assists, while 13 different players recorded a point in the game.
- The Polar Bears host USM on Tuesday at 7:00 PM.
- The Mammoths continue a seven game road stretch with a matchup at Connecticut College on Friday.