Posted: Jan 14, 2020
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's hockey team skated to a 6-3 non-conference victory over USM on Tuesday evening.
The Polar Bears (8-5-0) avenge their January 5 loss to the Huskies (4-9-2), a 2-0 setback.
- Bowdoin went ahead 1-0 5:33 into the first. Andy Stoneman passed deep into the zone where Michael Brown collected the puck and skated around the back of the net. Brown centered a pass from the left post that deflected off Pat Geary and into the net.
- Just shy of nine minutes, the Polar Bears doubled their lead. Graham Rutledge fired a shot from the high slot that was turned away by Anthony D'Aloisio and Ean Small poked the rebound towards Christian Capello. Capello finished off the loose puck.
- USM cut the deficit in half with 2:39 remaining in the first. Matthew Smith made a cross-ice outlet pass to Adam Withers along the left boards near Bowdoin's blue line. Withers skated left to right towards goal and drew Alex Zafonte across the crease, burying the puck at the right post.
- Withers tied the game 1:12 into the second. Tristan Dundas fired a shot from the left point and Withers tipped the puck. Zafonte made the initial save but Withers tracked down his own rebound for the quick put back.
- Bowdoin scored a pair of power play goals in the second frame, regaining the lead at 8:21. Joe Alexander dropped the puck high in the zone for Ethan Kimball who traded it to Graham Rutledge for a wrister between the dots.
- With 2:41 left in the period Bradley Ingersoll handled through three defender and roofed a shot to make it 4-2.
- The Huskies continued to pressure, cutting the deficit to one, 30 seconds later. Ethan Bassile controlled the puck below the left circle and cycled the puck up to Jonathan Bartuccio-Pereira. Bartuccio-Pereira centered a pass to Brock Padgham who one-timed a shot past Zafante.
- Bowdoin scored its third power play goal of the game midway through the third. Ingersoll controlled the puck at the top edge of the right circle and wristed it top shelf.
- Capello had his second of the game with 4:02 remaining, finishing off a cycle from Kyle Jadatz and Chris Brown.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin went 3-for-4 on the power play.
- USM went 0-for-4 on the power play.
- Zafonte made 15 stops for Bowdoin.
- D'Aloisio had 27 saves.
- The Polar Bears face top-ranked Trinity on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
- The Huskies host Norwich on Friday.