BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's lacrosse team jumped to an early lead and dispatched Babson, 14-9, on Wednesday evening at Whittier Field.
The Polar Bears pick up their first win of the season and stand at 1-2 while the Beavers fall to 3-3 on the year.
- Donal Mullane got the Polar Bears going with a pair of first quarter goals as the hosts sprinted to an early 5-1 lead in the first 15 minutes of play.
- Babson trimmed the lead to 5-3 midway through the second quarter, but the Polar Bears closed the half on a 3-1 run, getting a Reed Baker goal with 25 seconds left in the half to take an 8-4 edge at intermission.
- Tom Schofield and Chi Chi Price scored in the first 4:42 of the third quarter, again trimming Bowdoin's lead to two, 8-6.
- The Polar Bears responded with three straight goals from Zach Chandler, Sam Langan and Chris Fowler to take a commanding 11-6 advantage.
- Babson rolled off three goals in a span of 2:55 overlapping the third and fourth quarters to slice Bowdoin's advantage to just two goals, 11-9, with 13:45 to go.
- Bowdoin stemmed the tide, however, and tallied the last three goals of the game, including a pair of man-up scores from Fowler and Chandler, to close out the 14-9 win.
By The Numbers
- Zach Chandler had three goals and two assists while Chris Fowler added three goals and a helper for the Polar Bears.
- Jimmy Young (two goals, two assists) had a four-point game, while Donal Mullane and Sam Langan also scored twice each. Matt Ward had three assists.
- Chi Chi Price led Babson with a game-high four goals.
- Henry Savage was outstanding defensively for Bowdoin, causing four turnovers and collected three ground balls. Caleb Geitz had two caused turnovers and five ground balls for the Polar Bears.
- Ethan Barnard won 20 of 26 faceoffs for the Polar Bears and Jack O'Connor stopped seven shots in goal.
- Babson netminder Christopher Aranalde stopped 13 shots for the visitors.
- Bowdoin will close out its season on Saturday when they host Williams at 11:00 a.m. at Whittier Field.