MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Sela Kay tied the school record for three-pointers in a game as the Bowdoin College women's basketball team closed out its regular season with an authoritative 83-50 victory at Wesleyan University on Sunday afternoon.
The fifth-ranked Polar Bears finish the regular season with a record of 22-2 (8-2 NESCAC) and clinch the third seed for the upcoming NESCAC Tournament. Bowdoin will host sixth-seeded Hamilton in the quarterfinals at Morrell Gymnasium on Saturday, February 22 at 3:00 p.m.
- The Polar Bears put the game out of reach early and coasted in the second half en route to the win.
- Bowdoin sprinted to an 8-1 lead in the opening moments before a Wesleyan charge closed the gap to 13-12 with 3:20 left in the first quarter.
- The Polar Bears replied with a 10-0 run to close the period and push the lead to double digits, 23-12. Bowdoin then scored the first six points of the second quarter to double-up the Cardinals.
- The Polar Bears led 49-27 at halftime and extended their advantage to as many as 40 points in the second half.
By The Numbers
- Kay was outstanding, scoring a career-high 25 points including seven three-pointers, tying the single-game school mark held by Sara Binkhorst, Lauren Petit and Taylor Choate.
- Three other Polar Bears saw double-digits, including Samantha Roy, who had 17 points, seven assists and four steals.
- Maddie Hasson had 14 points, eight rebounds and four steals while Moira Train added 10 points for the Polar Bears.
- Bowdoin shot 47% for the contest and held Wesleyan to 32% shooting, forcing 17 turnovers and holding a 48-31 advantage in rebounding.
- Bowdoin will host Hamilton in the NESCAC Quarterfinals on Saturday, February 22 at 3:00 p.m. Tickets will not be issued for the contest and admission will be free of charge. Doors will open to Morrell Gymnasium at 2:00 p.m.