BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's lacrosse team scored 21 straight goals to ease to a 21-2 win over Plymouth State in their home opener Wednesday evening at Ryan Field.
The 13th-ranked Polar Bears pick up their first win of the season and move to 1-1. The Panthers fall to 1-2 on the year.
- Plymouth scored the first and last goals of the game, but it was all Bowdoin in-between.
- After the Panthers notched a goal at 27:26 from Victoria Hernandez, Elizabeth Growney started a 11-0 surge for the Polar Bears over a span of 12 minutes in the first half.
- Growney scored three times in the run as Bowdoin pushed the contest into running time.
- Colleen McAloon closed the half with consecutive goals to give Bowdoin a 12-1 edge at the break.
- Bowdoin scored the first nine goals of the second half, including three from Amanda Anderson and Gloria Zhao.
- Meg McAndrew closed the night with a goal for Plymouth with 24 seconds remaining.
By The Numbers
- Bowdoin owned a 38-7 advantage in shots and went 8-12 from free position in the victory.
- Elizabeth Growney led the Polar Bears with four goals and two assists while Amanda Anderson, Colleen McAloon, Gloria Zhao and Hadley Carlton all finished with hat tricks.
- Meg McAndrew had a goal and an assist for Plymouth while Devon Mello recorded three draw controls.
- Bowdoin's Eliza Denious had a game-high five draw controls while Kara Finnerty, Colleen McAloon and Caroline Maxwell had two caused turnover each for the Polar Bears.
- Bowdoin's Aaliyah Biondo (three saves) and Izzy Cisneros (two saves) split time in net for the hosts.
- Plymouth's Meaghan Allard (four saves) and Sam Porter (two saves) also each played a half.
- Bowdoin returns to NESCAC play Saturday at noon when they host Hamilton.
- Plymouth State will head to Waterville to play at Colby on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.