LEWISTON, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's volleyball team rolled to its seventh-straight win to open the season on Saturday, dusting off Bates 3-0 at Alumni Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears moved to 8-0 (2-0 NESCAC) and have won 24 of 25 sets to open the year.
- Bates led by as much as 11-8 in the first set, and the score was tied at 19-19 before the Polar Bears went on a 6-2 run to earn the first game. Sydney Salle's kill gave Bowdoin a 23-20 lead, and Kate Kiser won Bowdoin's 23rd final two points with kills from her setter position.
- In the second set, Bowdoin pulled away from a 5-5 tie, using consecutive aces by Sophia Pahl and kills by Caroline Flaharty and Danielle Abrams to forge a 10-6 lead. Bates could get no closer than within two for the rest of the set.
- The third set was another close one to its midway point; Bates trailed 13-12, but Bowdoin put together a 5-1 run to make it 18-13, beginning with a kill and a solo block by Sydney Salle and ending with consecutive Bates errors, prompting a timeout. A pair of kills by Flaharty and another by Abrams gave the Polar Bears a commanding 21-14 lead.
By The Numbers
- Danielle Abrams finished with a match-high 12 kills and just one attack error for Bowdoin.
- Kate Kiser totaled 37 assists with four kills for the Polar Bears.
- Caroline Flaharty tallied nine kills and Sydney Salle and Ashley Williams added seven apiece for Bowdoin, who attacked at a .344 percentage for the match.
- Pahl added six kills and a team-high 10 digs.
- Bowdoin heads to Tufts for a big NESCAC match next Friday at 7:00 p.m.