MEDFORD, Mass. – The Bowdoin College volleyball team easily dispatched Williams, 3-0, in the quarterfinals of the 2019 NESCAC Tournament on Friday evening at Tufts University.
The Polar Bears (17-6) rolled to the win by set scores of 25-20, 25-16, 25-20 to advance to the conference semifinals for the ninth straight year. Bowdoin will take on Wesleyan in the conference semifinals on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. Williams ends its year with a record of 14-11.
- The teams played a five-set match last month in Brunswick but Friday's match proved much more comfortable for the Polar Bears, who led from start-to-finish.
- Bowdoin jumped to an early 9-3 lead in the opening set and Williams could get no closer than three points for the remainder as the Polar Bears grabbed an early 1-0 lead with a 25-20 vicory.
- The second set was all Polar Bears as a 9-3 run midway through the frame extended Bowdoin's advantage to 19-11 en route to a 25-16 victory and 2-0 overall edge.
- The third set was the most competitive of the evening as the teams found themselves tied at 20-20 late. But Bowdoin rolled off five straight points, sparked by back-to-back kills from Danielle Abrams and Ashley Williams, to clinch the victory.
By The Numbers
- Sophia Pahl led the way for Bowdoin, racking up 14 kills and ten digs in the victory.
- Cori Gray added 11 kills while Kate Kiser (19 assists) and Ella Haugen (15 assists, three aces) keyed the Polar Bear offense.
- Williams was led by ten kills from Erin Denham and 16 digs from Daiana Takashima.
- Bowdoin will look to advance to the NESCAC Championship with a meeting against Wesleyan on Saturday at 3:30 in the conference semifinals. The Polar Bears will look to avenge two early-season losses to the Cardinals back in September.